Why remove a tattoo?
A variety of social, cultural and physical life changes influence the decision to remove tattoos:
- Allergic reactions
- Regrets about the decision
- Seeking or obtaining new employment
- Replacing one tattoo with another
What you need to know
- Professionally applied tattoos tend to penetrate the deeper layers of the skin at uniform levels. This uniformity allows dermatologic surgeons to use techniques that remove broader areas of inked skin at the same depth.
- Professional tattoos made with some of the newer inks and pastel colors may be difficult to remove entirely.
- Removal of homemade tattoos – often applied with an uneven hand – may be more difficult to remove.
- Deeper blue and black ink colors are particularly challenging.
- Newer tattoos often tend to be more difficult to remove than older ones.
- Complete tattoo removal is not always possible.
- Some level of scarring or skin color variation is a strong possibility.
- Tattoo removal is almost always done on an outpatient basis.